[b-greek] Re: Matt 8:7

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 15:43:26 EDT

At 7:29 PM +0000 8/10/01, Mark Wilson wrote:
>Iver Larsen wrote:
>
>Matt 8:7 EGW ELQWN QERAPEUSW AUTON
>

>Does this Aorist participle (ELQWN) seem odd?
>
>After I've arrived, I will heal him...
>
>If anything, this seems to minimize the journey
>to this centurion's house, and focuses on the
>nature of the visit.

The sequence ELQWN QERAPEUSW is standard idiom for indicating sequential
actions, the first of which must be completed before the second can be
performed. Normal English would be, "I shall go and heal him." Of course,
you're right that LITERALLY it's "after I've arrived, I shall heal him."
But there's nothing odd about the aorist participle being used here.