[b-greek] Sequence of actions between verb tenses

From: Wayne Leman (Wayne_Leman@SIL.ORG)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 18:10:43 EDT

Very good, Mark. I wasn't at all sure if Greek used the present tense as a
semantic ditto, and recalled something about that, but it might have been
some other language I was reading about. I thought it was Greek, however. I
do suspect there is some discourse function to the use of tense and aspect
in Hellenistic Greek. Bruce's comment, which you cite, seems quite promising
as one of the functions of a tense shift. I supposed I need to pull out my
reference materials on the discourse and semantic functions of Greek tense.
Sigh! So much to learn, so little time in which to get our regular work done
as well as learn all the things we want to!

Best,
Wayne
---
Wayne Leman