[b-greek] When is a form real?

From: Randall Buth (ButhFam@compuserve.com)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 07:07:58 EDT

On forms like FILEW
(in comparison with FILW~, FILEI~N, FILH~SAI) ,
Ward EGRAYEN:
>Randall calls them [FILEW-rb) "artificial"; I would call them
"underlying".<

Both terms raise the same pedagogical questions:

When is a form synchronically real for language users?
And when are language users conscious of a
[underlying, artificial, abstract, analytical]
form?
What forms are psychologically most central for a language user?
What forms are the most efficient for fluent language use?
And in line with Ward' linguistic approach, what can we learn from general
linguistics and language acquistion studies?

I will present a paper on this issue at SBL, Biblical Lexicography Section,
this
November in Denver.
UMEIS PANTES KEKLHMENOI ESTE.

ERRWSQE