[b-greek] 2Peter style

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 12:38:43 EDT

A decade ago I did a detailed study of Jude and taught a class on it when I
was living in Astoria OR in the summer of 91. I have gone back several times
since then and looked at Jude again and my notes from my '91 study. It is a
marvelous little book.

Two days ago I decided that my next NT project should be 2nd Peter. I
printed off work sheets, pulled R. Bauckham (WBC) and J.B. Mayor off the
shelf and launched off on what I thought was going to be a bit of a lark,
you know easy stuff compared to Homer's Iliad and Sophocles.

Well I got about as far as 2Peter 1:3-5 and found I was having a hard time
reading it. I just keep looking at the text and finding different ways of
analyzing the syntax. I did not consult any English translations, and have
not as yet. After two days of working in the first chapter I took a look at
the introduction in R. Bauckham (WBC) to see what he had to say about the
greek style of 2nd Peter.

My suspicions were confirmed. 2Peter is not going to be a lark, and the text
which was slowing me down 2Peter 1:3-5 is one of the difficult ones. Anyway
I have now managed to fit together most of the syntax of this short section
without cheating and looking it up in a commentary.

This experience has been humbling in a good way. I was wondering if anyone
else on b-greek was brought up short the first time the tried to just sit
down and read this book?

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point