[b-greek] Re: Aramaic Version Of the NT?!?!?

From: Trevor & Julie Peterson (06peterson@cua.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 22:04:53 EDT

While I agree in general with the information Ken gave, I think a little bit
more could be said for the antiquity of the Aramaic NT. There is testimony
to the Diatessaron from Ephrem (4th c.), and manuscripts of the Old Syriac
version have been dated to the 5th c. or earlier. Generally, the antiquity
of the Peshitta is supported by appeal to the fact that it is used by both
major divisions of the Syriac church, which split over Nestorianism in the
5th c. That's not to say that we can by any means prove that the Aramaic
version is primary, but it does seem to leave at least a crack in the door
for the suggestion that it is old enough to provide some competition with
the Greek.

As for the value of studying Aramaic versions (I'm thinking here primarily
of Syriac), while I wouldn't necessarily go too far in the hunt for "lost
originals," I wouldn't say it's a waste of time either. It's all well and
good to speak of a Semitic thought process behind the Greek writings of the
NT, but if you don't have any idea how that process works, you're not going
to find it very easily. Even if the Syriac versions are nothing more than
translations from Greek originals, they still attest a fairly early
tradition that sought to render the NT material for a Semitic-speaking
community. Supplemented, perhaps, by oral traditions, they could very well
stand to teach us quite a bit about how the Semitic-speaking communities
that generated the ideas in the NT to begin with were operating. It also
has value in the same way that studying Latin would with regard to the
Western Church. We (Westerners) have a tendency to think of the early and
medieval Church as divided only between Greek and Latin. From the
perspective of Oriental Christianity, however, Greek-speakers are still
Western. Just as the Greek Bible was central in the life of the Greek
Orthodox and the Latin in the life of Western Catholics, Syriac was integral
to the Oriental (Near Eastern) churches.

Finally, a brief word on rucho vs. pneuma. I think this is one of those
areas where comparing versions of the NT can be instructive. In English, we
tend to assume that the appropriate pronoun to use for the Holy Spirit is
"he." (At least, that was the way we tended to do things until recently.)
Then we find that in Greek the neuter pronoun is often used. Yes, in
Syriac, rucho is feminine. Interestingly, in Christian writings, the
pronouns seem to have shifted over time. As the concept of the Spirit's
personality solidified, there seems to ahve been a trend in the direction of
using masculine pronouns. This isn't a Syriac discussion list, so I'll
leave it at that. My point is simply that, if we're going to take seriously
the notion of Semitic influence on the thinking behind the Greek NT, we have
to remember things like this. Studying Syriac is one way to keep them in
mind.

I'll crawl back in my hole now. See my other post on "Hebrew New Testament"
for info. on a group that argues for the priority of the Aramaic.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics