[b-greek] EN + reference to a person

From: Mike Sangrey (msangrey@BlueFeltHat.org)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 14:42:42 EDT

Dear BGreekers,

I've been thinking (wondering, cogitating) about phrases of the
form `EN <possible article> <some reference to a person>'.

For example,
  EN CRISTWi
or
  EN TWi PNEUMATI
or
  EN AUTWi

I've wondered if I should think of these as `intensified datives'.

In other words, taking Robertson's characterization of the dative
as "case of personal interest" we would then have EN + the dative
(when the nominal refers to a person) as conveying "up close and
personal."

So, taking the above examples and translating to fully bring out
the sense, we have:

  "in an up close and personal relationship with the Messiah"
and
  "in an up close and personal relationship with the Spirit"
and
  "in an up close and personal relationship with him"

Now, simply grabbing the examples Iver used under a different,
though related thread:

  Luke 4:1 HGETO EN TWi PNEUMATI EN THi ERHMWi
  "In a close, personal relationship with the Spirit, he was lead
  into the wilderness."

  1 Cor 6:2 KAI EI EN hUMIN KRINETAI hO KOSMOS
  "and if you judge the world in a close, personal way..."

  2 Cor 3:14 hOTI EN CRISTWi KATARGEITAI
  because in a close, personal relationship with the Messiah
  it is set aside."

And, adding one of my own:

  Eph 6:18 PROSEUCOMENOI EN PANTI KAIRWi EN PNEUMATI
  praying on every occasion in a close, personal relationship with
  the Spirit.

What are your thoughts about the idea of an intensified dative?

--
Mike Sangrey
msangrey@BlueFeltHat.org