[b-greek] Re: TI GEGONEN in John 14:22

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 23:27:04 EDT

<x-flowed>

I wrote concerning this awkward construction:

-----
> > Take it as "How will it occur/happen/be fulfilled that ..."
> >
> > Much can be gleaned by how Jesus answers
> > the question put to him. Note that Jesus does not address
> > a "what" or a "why."
------

Here is JB Phillips on this verse:

Then Judas (not Iscariot), said, "Lord, how is it that you are going to make
yourself known to us but not to the world?"

I really was not trying to express a "Future tense" as much as
a "logical consequence," which is how I understand this question.
Although, MELLEIS does look to the future, does it not?

From Judas' standpoint, the Lord had just stated that XYZ will
now happen, to which Judas asks: how will XYZ happen? Or, "help
us understand this statement of yours."

At any rate, this is the question the Lord answers. I suppose
one could argue that Jesus completely ignored this question,
but that's a little hard for me to accept.

This is hardly an illegitmate question, and one to which I think the
Lord did owe an explanation.

The interrogative here sets up a question, and "how" seems
to fit the context well, as JB takes it.
Some may prefer: in what way... but that's what I mean by HOW.

Mark Wilson