[b-greek] Re: METANOIA

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 12:02:56 EDT

on 8/24/01 7:55 AM, Nelson Morales wrote:

> I am wondering about the word METANOIA and I'm looking for some information
> about the original sense or meaning of this word in NT Greek, I don't mean
> some theological biases or ideas, just the common use of this word in that
> time. I'm not thinking on any specific pasage .
> What is its origin? What is its meaning?
>
> Nelson Morales
> San Salvador, El Salvador

Hello Nelson,

Here is what the semantic domain lexicon has to say about the word:

Louw & Nida

41.52 metanoevw; metavnoia, a" f: to change onešs way of life as the result
of a complete change of thought and attitude with regard to sin and
righteousness ‹ Œto repent, to change onešs way, repentance.š5
 Œthey went out and preached that the people should repentš Mk 6:12.
 Œdo you fail to understand that God is kind because he wants to lead you to
repent?š Ro 2:4.
    Though in English a focal component of repent is the sorrow or
contrition that a person experiences because of sin, the emphasis in
metanoevw and metavnoia seems to be more specificaly the total change, both
in thought and behavior, with respect to how one should both think and act.
Whether the focus is upon attitude or behavior varies somewhat in different
contexts. Compare, for example, Lk 3:8, He 6:1, and Ac 26:20.

Good to hear from someone in El Salvador. Visited your city many years ago
('68).

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew