[b-greek] Re: METANOIA - spell checked

From: Jeffrey B. Gibson (jgibson000@home.com)
Date: Sat Aug 25 2001 - 08:25:49 EDT

Ethan Metsger wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Dr. John S. Waldrip wrote:
>
> - METANOIA basically refers to a change of mind.
> -
> - IS there a Greek word that refers primarily to a change of heart?
>
> What about metamellomai? It's been a long time since I've read up on the
> two words translated "repent," but this was described as "to change one's
> heart" (to me, once upon a time), versus metanoia, to changes one's mind.

Just a word of caution here regarding anachronistic understandings of
the "organs" as
centers of emotional life or aspects of personality. If memory serves,
"heart" was NOT
the center of one's inner being in first century anthropological and
psychological
understandings of the "self", but (at least in the LXX) the seat of
**thought**. So
while there might be a term such as you seek, it might not mean what you
(apparently)
think it means or what it means to us today..

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson

--
Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)