[b-greek] Re: 2Cor 1:21

From: Steven R. Lo Vullo (doulos@appleisp.net)
Date: Sun Aug 26 2001 - 01:00:52 EDT

on 8/25/01 9:18 PM, Dmitriy Reznik at reznik1@juno.com wrote:

> hO DE BEBAIWN hHMAS SUN hUMIN EIS CRISTON KAI CRISAS hHMAS QEOS
> Now he that establisheth us with you {1} in Christ, and anointed us, is
> God; {1) Gr [into]}
> I know that EIS sometimes can mean the same as EN. But is this the case?
> Does CRISTOS here mean Jesus, or maybe just "anointed one" in general,
> because after that we see that G-d is the one who ANOINTED us? In other
> words, doesn't the passage mean that G-d made us "christs", anointed?

Hi Dmitry:

I think it is important here to first of all identify the people Paul has in
mind in the pronouns hHMAS ... hUMIN ... hHMAS. This is crucial to
understanding the thrust and significance of Paul's comments. There is a
subtext here that is important to identify.

In the unfolding of 2 Corinthians it becomes apparent that Paul has not only
been disparaged by enemies of his at Corinth, but that this campaign of
defamation has met with at least some success among the congregation there.
Therefore much of the letter is taken up with a defense of Paul's (and his
partners') ministry. I think it is clear that both uses of hHMAS ("us") here
refer to Paul, Sivanus, and Timothy (see v. 19, DI' hHMWN ... DI' EMOU KAI
SILOUANOU KAI TIMOQEOU). The whole point of what he says here is that he and
his partners are every bit the objects of God's ongoing supportive power as
the Corinthians (hO DE BEBAIWN hHMAS SUN hUMIN). They, along with the
Corinthians (hHMAS ... SUN hUMIN), are perpetually established by God "into"
an organic relationship with Christ. As those who are continually made firm
by God in their relationship with Christ, their ministry is not one of
waffling when it comes to Christ (cf. vv. 19, 20). Not only that, but Paul
and his helpers have been anointed (CRISA hHMAS) by God, who also sealed
them and gave them the Spirit in their hearts as a pledge (v. 22).
Therefore, the Corinthians are not to look upon them as those who operate
according to the flesh (cf. vv. 12, 17), but as those who have been
anointed, confirmed (sealed), have the Spirit in their hearts, and act
accordingly. Furthermore, Paul & company should be accepted by the
Corinthians as those who are one with them in Christ (hHMAS SUN hUMIN EIS
CRISTON).

As for CRISTOS, this is referring to Christ, since it is singular and the
pronouns are plural. Paul is not saying that God confirms Paul, his
associates, and the Corinthians "into a christ," but that he confirms Paul
and his associates "in Christ." God's establishment of them in Christ
insures that the preaching of Christ by Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy is not
inconsistent (NAI KAI OU, v. 19), but unvarying and unwavering as they
preach the gospel in union with Christ (NAI EN AUTWi). The result is that
through Christ (DI' AUTOU, v.20) comes the Amen to the glory of God through
Paul and his associates (DI' hHMWN, v. 20). HTH.
--

Steve Lo Vullo
Madison, WI