[b-greek] Re: LXX Psalm 20

From: Thomas J. Kraus (tj.kraus@gmx.de)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 14:53:17 EDT

Dear Richard,

thanks for replying. There are indications in the LXX text that the
PERILOIPOI in Psalm 20:12 are to be understand as the "surviving"
(Lust/Eynikel/Hauspie), "rest (of a military unit/group)". You are right in
pointing out that there is a break after 20:8, and then the king´s enemies
are mentioned. Verse 10 has the verb SUNTARASSW (the Masora has BaLaH as
"to devour", "to swallow down/up" ...), which quite often is used in a
military context ("to bring in disorder"; other meanings: "to trouble", "to
stir up", "to frighten"), the idea of killing one´s enemy´s "offspring" and
"seed" (20:11), based on the principle of blood vengeance during ancient
warfare (possibly, a reference to the wars of extermination of the
Canaanites at the conquest, see Jos 6:21; 10:28-39; 11:14; Pss. 9:6;
137:9), or the plan they imagined (20:12).

Your translation helps a lot, Richard, even if I do not agree with it in
every detail. What I will do next as a last step is to look through the
Fathers´ commentaries, to give a brief overview of how the psalm was
understood in the first centuries of Christian exegesis.

If there is any more remark on LXX Psalm 20, the Fathers´ discussion of
that, or the like, please, tell me offline. I am looking forward to any
reply!

Thomas J. Kraus

--Richard Ghilardi wrote------snip--------