[b-greek] hEWS hOU in 2Pt 1:19

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Aug 30 2001 - 12:06:37 EDT

Taking a second pass at 2nd Peter. Trying to clear up a few of the numerous
difficult problems. 2Pt 1:19 presents a number of questions and I want to
focus on only one of them. How should we understand hEWS hOU? I don't mean
how should we translate it? Rather, what are the implications of hEWS hOU
for the two constituents, before and after that are joined with hEWS hOU.

Let me focus the question. Does hEWS hOU in this text tell us that the
injunction Wi KALWS POIEITE PROSECONTES . . . only applies up until such
time that hHMERA DIAUGASHi . . . ? In other words is Peter telling these
people to *do this* until this takes place and then you no longer need to do
it anymore? Is that the significance of hEWS hOU?

This passage certainly looks like a good candidate for being a classic proof
text for mysticism. But that isn't my question, just want to understand what
the options are for hEWS hOU.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point