[b-greek] Re: Matt 26:50

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 01 2001 - 08:18:54 EDT

Iver, I thank you very much for your painstaking efforts to show the
plausibility of your understanding of this text. I think this has been a
very worthwhile exchange. I still don't think I'm ready to accept the
interpretation that goes with this, but I think you've shown at least that
it is quite plausible to suppose EF' hO PAREI as a question representing
something like EPI TOUTO hOTI PAREI (which would mean pretty much the same
thing as my own suggested TOUT' ESTIN EF' hO PAREI)? But there remain some
questions for me, not the least of which concerns how best to TRANSLATE
this into a target language. While you understand this as referring to the
kiss, I think it could just as easily refer to the evident success of the
plot to arrest Jesus--which would also fit just as well the usage of
hETAIRE to which you refer. That is to say: there is still considerable
ambiguity or what we'd have to call a "cryptic" character to "For this
you're here?"--as there is in the celebrated response of Jesus to the High
Priest (Mt 27:1 and parallels): SU LEGEIS. Does one or should one translate
this in such a way as to preserve the cryptic quality and then explain in a
footnote what it MIGHT mean?

You refer to "rules for ellipsis" that appear to exclude the possibility of
elision; are you referring to rules governing Koine Greek? I would think
that, IF we understand POIEI EF' hO PAREI to be the expression (and I think
POIHSON, an aorist imperative, would be at least as likely here and would
involve no elision) the more likely phonological treatment would be
"ekthlipsis" of the E of EF'--so that we'd have POIEI 'F' hO PAREI. Have
such "rules for ellipsis" in Koine Greek been spelled out or researched, so
far as you know? I'd be curious to see them.