[b-greek] Re: James 1:3

From: Steven R. Lo Vullo (doulos@appleisp.net)
Date: Sat Sep 01 2001 - 22:30:17 EDT

on 9/1/01 8:59 PM, Mark Wilson at emory2oo2@hotmail.com wrote:

> -----
> Even if it were plural, the only sense I know of for PISTIS in the plural is
> something like "pledges" (although the plural is not used in the NT).
> -----
>
> TOIS hAGIOIS TOIS OUSIN EN EFESWi KAI PISTOIS EN CRISTWi IHSOU
>
> Eph. 1:4b
>
> Would this qualify?

Hi Mark:

I think you are referring to Eph 1.1. No that wouldn't qualify, since
PISTOIS is not the dative plural of PISTIS (noun), but of PISTOS
(adjective). This illustrates one of the of the points I made in my post: If
James had been referring to "faithful people" the common way to do this
would be to use PISTOS substantivally, as here in Ephesians 1.1. As a side
note, believers are also designated by PISTEUW in the form of a substantival
participle (hO PISTEUWN). But as far as PISTIS being used as a collective
singular for believers, no way. I may be Sicilian, but I'm still from
Missouri!
--

Steve Lo Vullo
Madison, WI