[b-greek] RE: James 1:3

From: George Blaisdell (maqhth@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 04:10:21 EDT

<x-flowed>

George Blaisdell
Roslyn, WA

>From: "Iver Larsen"

> > James 1:3: GINWSKONTES hOTI TO DOKIMION hUMWN THS PISTEWS
> > KATERGAZETAI hUPOMONHN

> > What does hUMWN modify and why?

>hUMWN modifies TO DOKIMION... The order as it stands indicates that the
>topic is faith-testing - and y'all are the ones being tested.

That seems about right. Stil, iff you were to drop the hUMWN out of the
sentence, we would have the testing of faith, and by putting it in between
'the testing' and the 'of faith', we establish whose testing AND whose
faith. So is there any reason why it must be either-or???

The translational result would then be "Knowing that your testing of your
faith produces patience..." Which comes off as at least mildly pedantic...
  :-)

geo