[b-greek] Re: Heb. 11:11a

From: Stephen C. Carlson (scarlson@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 00:04:41 EDT

At 03:43 AM 9/5/2001 +0000, Mark Wilson wrote:
>Heb. 11:11a
>PISTEI KAI AUTH SARRA DUNAMIN EIS KATABOLHN SPERMATOS ELABE...
>
>Can we just add an iota subscript to AUTH and SARRA, since
>such indications would be absent (assumed) from the earliest writings,
>and get something like:
>
>"By faith he [Abraham] also, together with Sara, received
>power to beget..."
>
>This would take AUTH SARRA as AUTHi SARRAi, and, now as datives,
>would function as dative of accompaniament.

I don't think so because a bare dative of accompaniment is used
with verbs that already connote accompanying or following, otherwise
a preposition such as META would be used. See Smyth §§ 1521-
1524 and BDF § 193. In this case, the verb is ELABE and
does not connote accompaniment.

Stephen Carlson
--
Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@mindspring.com