[b-greek] Re: Heb. 11:11a

From: Steven R. Lo Vullo (doulos@appleisp.net)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 01:32:04 EDT

on 9/4/01 10:43 PM, Mark Wilson at emory2oo2@hotmail.com wrote:

> Heb. 11:11a
>
> PISTEI KAI AUTH SARRA DUNAMIN EIS KATABOLHN SPERMATOS ELABE...
>

> Can we just add an iota subscript to AUTH and SARRA, since
> such indications would be absent (assumed) from the earliest writings,
> and get something like:
>
> "By faith he [Abraham] also, together with Sara, received
> power to beget..."
>
> This would take AUTH SARRA as AUTHi SARRAi, and, now as datives,
> would function as dative of accompaniament.

GNT gives PISTEI KAI AUTH SARRA STEIRA DUNAMIN a C rating and Metzger
comments as follows:

"The difficulties of this verse are well known (for example, in Greek the
expression DUNAMIN EIS KATABOLHN SPERMATOS ELABEN is regularly used of the
male in begetting, not the female in conceiving) and heve led some scholars
(including F. Field, Windisch, Zuntz) to suggest that KAI AUTH SARRA STEIRA
is an early gloss that somehow got into the text. Appreciating the lexical
difficulty, but unwilling to emend the text, a majority of the Committee
understood the words KAI AUTH SARRA STEIRA to be a Hebraic circumstantial
clause, thus allowing ABRAAM (ver. 8) to serve as subject of ELABEN ('by
faith, even though Sarah was barren, he [Abraham] received power to beget
...').

"It is also possible to construe the words AUTH SARRA STEIRA as a dative of
accompaniment (in uncial script iotas subscript are ordinarily not
indicated), so that the sentence runs, 'By faith he [Abraham] also, together
with barren Sarah, received power to beget...'" HTH
--

Steve Lo Vullo
Madison, WI