[b-greek] Re: Translation Studies

From: Paul Schmehl (p.l.schmehl@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 19:34:58 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: <jwest@highland.net>
To: "Biblical Greek" <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Cc: <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2001 9:49 AM
Subject: [b-greek] Re: Translation Studies

> carl is correct regarding the last instance he cites. he is incorrect in
> assuming that because the word means *read* here it means *read*
everywhere.

I never got the sense that Carl was doing that. He cited the context of the
verses he referenced and pointed out that, to him, translating the word
"recite" rather than "read" was nonsensical.

> Context makes words meaningful.

Which of course is a meaningless statement without some context within which
to judge your point.

> as to the eunuch reciting from isaiah- it sure
> makes a lot more sense to say he was reciting as he bounced along in the
> chariot rather than that he was reading. and as to him not understanding
what
> he recited... lots of folk sing songs in church with latin words and they
have
> no idea what they mean. people often repeat things they dont understand.

A possible interpretation. It seems more likely to me that he had read the
text before and not understood it. He saw this as an opportunity to perhaps
gain some understanding from his traveling companion, and so he found the
passage again and read it out loud.

> > I suggest that those interested consult BDAG, L&N, LJS, etc.
>
> and also recognize that they are no more infallible in their renderings
than
> the texts of scripture.

Yet this does nothing to support your argument. Simply saying that someone
else *could be wrong*, doesn't make your argument stronger. I think Carl's
point that, in the context, the passage reads "EUREN TON TOPON OU", makes
your definition of the word implausible. You not only have to make Jesus
illiterate, you also must make him deceitful. If he wasn't reading from the
scroll, then he would have been trying to make it look as though he was,
which would make him twice the scoundrel.

I think the onus is on you to bring forward evidence, from the Greek, to
support such an unusual position.

Paul Schmehl pauls@utdallas.edu
p.l.schmehl@worldnet.att.net
http://www.utdallas.edu/~pauls/