[b-greek] re: translation... etc

From: Stephen C. Carlson (scarlson@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 00:03:51 EDT

At 01:14 PM 9/8/01 +1000, B. Ward Powers wrote:
>At 08:49 PM 010907 -0400, Jim West wrote:
>>okie dokie- since one example suffices (evidently) to establish the meaning
>>of every occurance of every word (without any view to the context)- i offer
>>the following:
>>
>> rhêtor[i], eip(en): anagnôthi kai su mou nomo?n?. S?e?[leu]k?os s?u?nêgoros
>>eip(en): kai meta Seouêron pantes hoi hêgoumenoi houtôs
>>
>>Sammelbuch griechischer Urkunden aus Aegypten document 7696 (1.85)
>
>It would be so helpful for me personally (possibly for other list members
>also?) if Jim would be kind enough to use the standard Greek
>transliteration scheme, using capital letters, which has been recommended
>for contributors to b-greek.

It appears that Jim did a copy and paste job from the Perseus
web site's Duke Database of Documentary Papyri. This also
explains why Jim's context is the last half of one sentence
and the first half of another. The full sentences are:

META THN ANAGNWSIN, SABEINOS EPARCOS AIGUPTOS SERHNWi hRHTORI,
EIPEN: ANAGNWQI KAI SU NOMON. SELEUKOS SUNERGOS EIPEN: KAI
META SEOUHRON PANTES hOI hEGOUMENOI hOUTWS APEFHANTO.

The cited document is the minutes of prefect Appius Sabinus
concerning a law court.

Stephen Carlson

--
Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@mindspring.com