[b-greek] Re: Luke 18:11

From: Mark O'Brien (obrienmb@bigpond.com)
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 01:04:53 EDT

Chet~

I happen to have Luke Johnson's excellent commentary on Luke at hand, and he
offers up three possibilities:

1. Jesus was essentially praying quietly to himself (i.e. under his breath,
unspoken, etc.)
2. Jesus was directing the prayer to himself and not God
3. Jesus was praying with reference to himself

Johnson prefers the first option, since the other two hardly seem to fit,
but acknowledges that this is an awkward pros+accusative construction to
render into English.

I think this is one of those examples that clearly illustrates the point
that reading Greek (or any other language, for that matter) is best done by
getting a feel for the range of certain expressions, constructions and
idioms, and that comes by lots of reading, not mastering lists provided in
grammars.

Best regards,

M.
Mark B.O'Brien
Senior Minister, Warnbro Community Church, Western Australia
Lecturer, Australian College of Ministries