[b-greek] RE: Luke 18:11

From: George Blaisdell (maqhth@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 16:41:40 EDT

<x-flowed>

George Blaisdell
Roslyn, WA

"Be not troubling of you the heart..."

>From: "Iver Larsen"

> > hO FARISAIOS STAQEIS TAUTA PROS hEAUTON PROSHUCETO

>The sense "by, at, near" is OK,

>Which Greek edition are you quoting? There are manuscript variations here,
>but the latest Nestle-Aland and UBS text agree on a better and probably
>original order:

>hO FARISAIOS STAQEIS PROS hEAUTON TAUTA PROSHUCETO

>This order helps to clarify that PROS hEAUTON is not connected with
>PROSHUCETO but with STAQEIS

>The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed these things (to God)...

>In true Pharisee fashion he separated himself from the common man and
>especially a despised tax collector.

Iver -

The first word order seems best, not the NA UBS rearrangement, because of
the sentence structure, where the center of the sentence moves foreward into
the next sentence. The first has TAUTA in the middle, which are enumerated
in the following sentence, and indeed the structure of the thought of the
first is really fairly elegantly stylized in diagram:

1. hO FARISAIOS
2. STAQEIS
3. TAUTA
4. PROS hEAUTON
5. PROSHUCETO

The basic sentence is hO FARISAIOS ... PROSHUCETO. [The Pharisee prayed]

The subset within this thought that modifies it is: STAQEIS ... PROS hEAUTON
[having stood toward himself - With the implied meaning that he was praying
PROS hEAUTON as well!]

And in the middle, enclosed within all this, the heart of the matter to be
elucidated with the next words to follow: TAUTA [these things]

So: "The Pharisee... having stood... these things... toward himself...
prayed." Which is English giberish, almost. The reason is that our
language does not structure this way, so that for our English ears, we have
to say "The Pharisee stood apart by himself and prayed the following:..."
And this loses the nuance of his praying to himself that is embedded into
the text and condemns him...

geo