[b-greek] Re: Luke 18:11 -- Mike Sangrey's suggestion

From: Chet Creider (creider@csd.uwo.ca)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 06:40:11 EDT

Mike Sangrey wrote:
> Seriously, I don't have an answer, but maybe Luke 24:12 offers some
> insight.
>
> Louw & Nida state that APHLQEN PROS hEAUTON (different verb from your
> question but the same PROS hEAUTON construct) as an idiom meaning "to
> return to one's place" as in "place of residence." (cf L&N 15.92)
>
> Luke 24:12 is the only other case of PROS hEAUTON I could find in the
> GNT.
>
> I wonder if it is too large a step to think of this as "prayed
> concerning his position in society." We, in English, use the word
> `place' to signify the two ideas of `place of residence' and `position
> in society': "I got my self a place in the city, it's not much, but
> it's home." And, "Well!, guess I know my place around here, now."

I think this is indeed too large a step -- if possible one doesn't want
an analysis which depends on an idiomatic sense of place in English.
However, the suggestion from Louw & Nida is interesting when applied
here: The Pharisee, standing in his own place (i.e. the temple), prayed
these things:

> I would think if the meaning which Jesus meant to convey was a more
> mundane "prayed to God concerning himself" Jesus would have used a
> dative.

Yes, the fact that there are obviously better ways to express this
notion, in Luke's Greek, is an argument against my suggested analysis.

Chet Creider