[b-greek] Aorist vs Present

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 16:30:37 EDT

<x-flowed>

Concerning Paul's use of the Present and Aorist, I would
like to ask for help in understanding how others understand
his use of a particular verb, primarily its Aspectual nature.

In Romans 12:1, we have the Aorist PARASTHSAI...

PARAKALW OUN hUMAS ADELFOI DIA TWN OIKTIRMWN TOU QEOU PARASTHSAI
TA SWMATA hUMWN QUSIA ZWSAN...

Elsewhere in Romans, the Present tense is used, as in:

Romans 6:13

MHDE PARISTANETE TA MELH hUMWN...

6:16

OUK OIDATE hOTI Wi PARISTANETE hEAUTOUS DOULOUS...

My question is trying to zero in on the Aspect of
the Present tense compared to the Aspect of the Aorist with
this verb in particular, since they both are being used
in the same letter.

I am somewhat skeptical of the gloss "keep on..." for the
Present Aspect, especially because I would certainly think that
we ought to "keep on presenting our bodies a living sacrifice."

What would you say is being EMPHASIZED with each Aspect?

I guess I am seeking insight from the Linguists who can help
me get a better grasp of the Aspectual idea with this verb,
and perhaps indirectly with other similar verbs.

Many thanks,

Mark Wilson