[b-greek] Re: Good Greek Grammar?

From: ross purdy (rossjpurdy@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 16:42:03 EDT

<x-flowed>
Matt,

I believe you are essentially right. Bad grammar is bad grammar, but good
grammar may not adequately describe current usage. Over time, grammar should
be updated to common usage. In any immediate context, usage needs to conform
to grammar if it is going to be understood in any larger context. The point
is that the one ruling the larger context right at the moment is
authoritative...a majority rule. But over time, the chicken is a result of
the egg laid...uhhhhmmmm...which egg has been conformed to the chicken
having laid it?

The purpose of learning grammar is to express ourselves to be understood.
But we must understand unorthodox usage to understand others who fail at
that...an extra burden...but then again that is what makes language
exiciting and wonderful and is to be encouraged.

Anyways, koine is essentially a frozen language since it is dead. It is a
slice out of time. So a good Greek Grammar should describe its usage
accurately to be authoritative, right? In this case, Grammar will rule since
it is the only factor that can be dynamic.

Why would we call an odd usage bad grammar? Because it does not conform to
the observed typical patterns. I do not think the one observed exhibiting
the odd usage is being condemned for some social indiscretion as much as we
are trying to identify a hindrance to understanding what was meant. I guess
a good Greek Grammer would help us to understand even bad Greek Grammar, or
perhaps we should say an odd usage, since, we want to be able to explain all
the phonomena in order to understand it all.

Just some unathoritative thoughts.

Ross Purdy

rossjpurdy@hotmail.com