[b-greek] 1 Tim. 2:4 --> PANTAS ANQRWPOUS

From: Wayne Leman (wayne_leman@sil.org)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2001 - 12:05:05 EDT

Steven, thank you for your detailed comments. Your comments helped me think
think things through further. Like you, I do not understand PANTAS in 1 Tim.
2:4 to mean "all without exception." Perhaps it means more like "the entire
set", if we think in terms of set theory. I'm sorry that my post did not
give more details to clarify this, but the good thing about communication is
that we do have these opportunties for subsequent clarification. I may off
base in thinking in terms of sets here, but at least I want to make clear
that I'm not thinking about enumeration of each individual within a set.
Although I do not think that PAS always means "all kinds" in the NT, I agree
with you that it surely does in a number of passages, e.g.

Matt. 4:23 PASAN NOSON KAI PASAN MALAKIAN
Matt. 12:31 PASA hAMARTIA KAI BLASFHMIA
1 Tim. 6:10 PANTWN TWN KAKWN (one of your exx.)

PAS, like so many lexical terms in Greek and any other language, has a
semantic range. The range of PAS includes "all", "every," and "all kinds".

> I don'think Charles was implying that PANTWN directly modifies the
authority
> figures in v. 2. The point is that the author uses specific examples of
what
> he means by PANTWN ANQRWPWN, which indicates that he has prayer for
> individuals in mind and that PANTWN ANQRWPWN therefore must mean "all
kinds"
> rather than "all without exception." In light of the fact that this prayer
> and thanksgiving is not simply of the "God-bless-the-whole-wide-world"
> variety, it is hard to take PANTWN as all-inclusive, since it is simply
> impossible to pray for every individual under heaven.

<snip>

> This still does not deal with the obvious problem: "All people" cannot
refer
> to every single person in the world, since it would be impossible to pray
> for every person without exception.

I do not infer "all without exception" from the instruction to pray for
PANTAS ANQRWPOUS.

<snip>

> Steve Lo Vullo
> Madison, WI