[b-greek] Re: The negative particle "ou" with verbs

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 10:03:55 EDT

At 8:16 AM -0500 9/28/01, Donald W Price wrote:
>Harry wrote:
>
>>In answer to your question I'll quote from my Paul Kaufman NT Greek
>>grammar. "OU is generally placed before the word it negatives, thus:
>>OU GINWSKW AUTON,I do not see him (cf. Mt 26:74). Usually it is placed
>>immediately *before* the verb."
>
>Harry, thanks for your response. I would like to further narrow my
>question and seek help
>from you and others once again.
>

>If a sentence has one subject but three verbs, and the negative "ou" is
>located immediately *before* the
>first verb, are the other two verbs also negated, or must an "ou" also be
>placed in front of them?
>
>Wayne

Wayne, you really need to give an example to clarify what it is you are
asking. Do you mean three verbs of the same sort, something like Caesar's
"I came, I saw, I conquered" where in English we might negate by writing,
"I didn't come, see, conquer." In Greek I think negation of such a sentence
would require coordinated conjunctions, something like OUK HLQON, OUDE
EIDON, OUDE ENIKHSA.
... But--is that the sort of thing you're asking?