[b-greek] Re: Help with AUTOS

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 12:00:59 EDT

At 10:59 AM -0400 9/28/01, Richard Ghilardi wrote:
>Dear Carl,
>
>I agree, of course, with your reply to Art Fox. But in Lk 13:1 AUTOS
>seems to be used in a fourth way.
>
>PARHSAN DE TINES EN AUTWi TWi KAIRWi APAGGELLONTES AUTWi PERI TWN

>GALILAIWN hWN TO hAIMA PILATOS EMIXEN META TWN QUSIWN AUTWN.
>
>The second and third occurrences of AUTOS are the regular pronominal use
>in their respective oblique cases. But the first use in the phrase EN
>AUTWi TWi KAIRWi is somewhat unusual. It appears to be intensive in the
>predicate position. So A.T. Robertson writes: <<At that very season (EN
>AUTWi TWi KAIRWi). Luke's frequent idiom, "at the season itself.">> This
>seems to me to be an inadequate explanation. I see AUTWi as not merely
>intensive but also demonstrative, like TWiDE or TOUTWi. In fact, AUTWi
>combines the intensive and the demonstrative and is equivalent to EN
>TOUTWi AUTWi TWI KAIRWi, meaning "at that very time." This would then
>constitute a fourth use of AUTOS, i.e., as an instensive form of the
>demonstrative pronoun.
>
>What do you think? Can this be correct?

Frankly I think this is a problem with converting to English rather in the
Greek. EN AUTWi TWi KAIRWi -- or the example cited in Brent Hudson's
follow-up message:

At 12:28 PM -0300 9/28/01, Brent Hudson wrote:
>Another instance is Luke 12:12:
>
>TO GAR hAGION PNEUMA DIDAXEI hUMAS EN AUTHi THi hWRA hA DEI EIPEIN

are, I think, more instances of the predicate-position usage of AUTOS in
agreement with a noun (we used to call this AUTOS = IPSE for convenience of
people with Latin background). The valid point here is that AUTOS when
predicate does indeed have a demonstrative aspect by virtue of its very
intensifying force, but EN AUTWi TWi KAIRWi and EN AUTHi THi hWRAi don't
really involve a usage of AUTOS that's different from that in AUTON TON
APOSTOLON of the original sentence: "at the very moment" or "at the very
hour" is not different in function from "at that very moment" or "at that
very hour" and it means the sam, (although it's better idiomatic English)
as "at the moment itself" or "at the hour itself."