[b-greek] Re: META XARAS

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 19:52:12 EDT

At 6:06 PM -0500 10/2/01, Steven Lo Vullo wrote:
>on 10/2/01 4:39 PM, Carl W. Conrad at cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu wrote:
>
>> I'm really glad to see this discussion coming over to B-Greek. I may be
>> very wrong, but I find it difficult to see how META CARAS in the verses
>> cited really falls properly under a category termed "attendant
>> circumstances."
>
>I agree with you that META in the examples cited indicates manner.
>Interestingly, Wallace has the following category for META: "c. Manner
>(Attendant Circumstance): *with*." What do you make of this? It seems he is
>equating the two, though it seems to me a distinction must be made between
>manner and attendant circumstance.

Interesting--I assume you're referring to the little categorization on page
377. My inclination here is to think that he's aware that "attendant
circumstances" is the pigeonhole into which such items as META CARAS are
generally shoved, but that the semantic function here really is rather
"manner." I should add that I am serious about the idea that Latin usage
may play a role here (although this is not one of the instances cited by
BDF as involving Latin influence).

I think that META FOBOU KAI TROMOU THN hEAUTWN SWTHRIAN KATERGAZESQE in
Phil 2:12 belongs in this category also (I've always supposed this is the
urging of Paul that Kierkegaard assumed Abraham was heeding!).