[b-greek] Re META CARAS

From: Alex / Ali (alexali@surf.net.au)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 11:03:53 EDT

I have been interested in seeing the discussion of META CARAS on this list
and on B-Trans.

I am in complete agreement with Carl's saying that "META CARAS in all these
instances is really an adverbial phrase indicating MANNER."

In my own notebook I have jotted down some examples of the use of META,
under what I categorised as Adverbial - with a noun to form what
approximates an adverb of manner. It would take me too long to cite
complete verses but hope that the following quotes are not so abbreviated as
to compromise clarity; I omit the META CARAS instances.

Matthew 28:8 KAI APELQOUSAI TACU APO TOU MNHMEIOU META FOBOU KAI CARAS
MEGALHS EDRAMON KTL

Mark 3:5 KAI PERIBLEYAMENOS AUTOUS MET' ORGHS ...

Mark 6:25 KAI EISELQOUSA EUQUS META SPOUDHS PROS TON BASILEA ...

Acts 2:29 ANDRES ADELFOI, EXON EIPEIN META PARRHSIAS PROS hUMAS ...

Acts 5:26 hO STRATHGOS ... HGEN AUTOUS OU META BIAS

Acts 17:11 hOITINES EDEXANTO TON LOGON META PASHS PROQUMIAS KAQ' hHMERAN
ANAKRINONTES TAS GRAFAS ...

Acts 20:19 DOULEUWN TWi KURIWi META PASHS TAPEINOFROSUNHS KAI DAKRUWN KAI
PEIRASMWN TWN SUMBANTWN MOI EN TAIS EPIBOULAIS TWN IOUDAIWN

Acts 24:3 PANTHi TE KAI PANTACOU APODECOMEQA, KRATISTE FELIX, META PASHS
EUCARISTIAS

Acts 25:23 THi OUN EPAURION ELQONTOS TOU AGRIPPA KAI THS BENIKHS META POLLHS
FANTASIAS

It would be possible to translate almost all of these with an adverb or an
adverbial phrase answering the question, 'How?'. At Acts 20:19, one might
wish to make a distinction between the usage of META with TAPEINOFROSUNHS
KAI DAKRUWN and with PEIRASMWN TWN SUMBANTWN along the lines of manner
(which we might gloss 'humbly and tearfully') as opposed to attendant
circumstance ('in all the trials that befell me ...'), but the preposition
doesn't necessarily need to bear precisely the same meaning in relation to
the nouns it's working with (Didn't Dickens somewhere write a phrase
something like "(riding?) in tears and a sedan chair"? One of my profs told
me this many years ago, and gave it some clever technical name, which I've
forgotten.), and the distinction may be more one of logic than language. At
any rate, to recapitulate briefly, there is no question in my own mind that
META + genitive is sometimes used to express manner.

Alex Hopkins
Melbourne, Australia