[b-greek] Re: IOUDAIOUS TE KAI hELLHNAS (Rom 3:9)

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@sogang.ac.kr)
Date: Sun Oct 07 2001 - 10:05:31 EDT

George:
> >Contextually, in Romans, I think we need to go for the "not only Jews, but
> >also the
> >Greeks" reading. I wouldn't put it quite as starkly, but I think it's a valid
> >interpretation.

Carl:
> While I find Denniston a very valuable resource, I think that in Romans one
> has to perceive it in terms of inclusiveness--or of NON-EXCLUSION of
> either. ......Consequently I would render the
> TE ... KAI as intensely as possible without emphasizing either of the two
> elements over the other: either "Jews no less than Greeks ... " or "Jews
> every bit as much as Greeks ..."

George and Carl seem to take IOUDAIOUS TE KAI hELLHNAS in opposite
directions.

George: not only Jews but ALSO GREEKS (1)
Carl : JEWS NO LESS than Greeks. (2)

In (1), the presupposition is that the proposition in question is
       considered to hold with respect to Jews.
In (2), the presupposition is that the proposition in question is
       considered to hold with respect to Greeks.

Denniston said that in X TE KAI Y, either the first or the second
element gets emphasis [depending on the context].
Does the above two renderings imply that both persons
take the context of Rom 3:9 differently?

Moon
Moon R. Jung
Associate Professor
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea