[b-greek] Re: IOUDAIOUS TE KAI hELLHNAS (Rom 3:9)

From: Iver Larsen (iver_larsen@sil.org)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 02:06:39 EDT

> on 10/7/01 12:23 PM, c stirling bartholomew wrote:

> > Just for the sake of argument, look at Luke 14:26:
> >
> > . . . TE KAI THV YUXHN hEAUTOU . . .
> >
> > This looks to me like a list objects of MISEI building to a
> climax at the
> > end of the list. THV YUXHN hEAUTOU is the least likely object
> of MISEI and
> > for that reason produces the strongest cognitive disturbance in
> the auditor.
> > Cognitive disturbance being one means of measuring prominence.
> >

> of course someone is going to say, but you left out ETI in
>
> . . . ETI TE KAI THV YUXHN hEAUTOU . . .
>
> and that someone will then argue that the presence of ETI changes
> the whole
> complexion of things and invalidates this as an example. Anyway,
> I beat that
> someone to the punch so to speak.

Thanks for the effort, Clay.
Yes, you beat me to it.
There are different functions of TE. Sometimes TE-KAI function together to
coordinate two nominals with the meaning "both A and B". It is called the
"correlative TE".
But TE can also function alone. It is called TE Solitarium. (Levinsohn
discusses this at length in chapter 6.3 of his book on NT Discourse
Features).

With a TE Solitarium, the word immediately before the TE is the key. That is
why the ETI is the key here, meaning "and *still*" or "and IN ADDITION".
So, a literal translation of
 . . . ETI TE KAI THN YUXHN hEAUTOU . . . would be
"and IN ADDITION even his own LIFE"
(I use capitals in English to indicate stress).

It is one of the ways the writer can put focus on the last item in a series.
So this is not an example of the correlative TE KAI, but an example of TE
Solitarium followed by KAI as an adverb.
A nice example, Clay. Thank you.

Iver Larsen