[b-greek] Luke 7:39

From: Kenneth Litwak (javajedi2@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 12:33:53 EDT

   I have a few questions about part of Luke 7:39.
EGINWSKEN AN TIS KAI POTATH GUNH hTIS hAPTETAI AUTOU.
(I'm typing this from memory so please excuse any
errors).
First, while acknowledging that it's virtually
impossible to know how a Greek understood or thought
about the language as they encountered it, but
1. EGINOSKEN seems to require some such sense as "he
would have known". Neverth4elss, that is contrary to
the sense of an indicative, which means "this
definitely occurs." Also, I would not have expected
an imperfect, so perhaps I'm missing something.
2. AN TIS. Is this "who" or "what sort of", being
redundant with POTATH?
3. Again, while I can't know how a native Greek
speaker would read this, GUNH hHTIS hAPTETAI AUTOU
seems to be an unexpected alternative to using a
participle instead of the relative hHTIS plus a finite
verb.

  Thanks.

Ken