[b-greek] Re: IOUDAIOUS TE KAI hELLHNAS (Rom 3:9)

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 17:22:02 EDT

At 12:10 PM -0700 10/8/01, Alan B. Thomas wrote:
>Concerning this from Iver...
>
>> And I would still be interested in any
>> example where the second
>> item appears to be more prominent than the first. In
>> that case, I'll revise
>> my hypothesis.

I think the hypothesis is plausible but more speculative than demonstrable.
In addition to what Alan offers, I think the idiomatic construction I'm
citing depends upon a degree of prominence for the second item following
the TE KAI.

While I know of no instances of this in the GNT, there is a standard,
frequent construction in classical Attic of a form of ALLOS followed by TE
KAI and an item in the same case as the form of ALLOS, the semantic force
of the construction being "others and especially X"; one sees this also
with the adverb ALLWS TE KAI and another adverb where the following adverb
is emphatic and the sense is "otherwise and especially X-ly":

LSJ s.v. ALLOS:

6. with Art., ho allos, the rest, all besides; in pl., hoi alloi (Ion.
contr. hôlloi) all the others, the rest, freq. from Hom. downwards (alloi
in same signf., Il.2.1); ta alla, contr. talla, all else, talla plên ho
chrusos Scol. 1 (Pytherm.); in Att. freq. as Adv., for the rest, esp. in
amendments to decrees, ta men alla kathaper ho deina ktl. IG1.27a70, etc.:
of Time, = ton allon chronon, X.HG3.2.2; ho a. chronos, = ho loipos
chronos, of the future, Lys. 14.4 (but also of the past, D.20.16); têi
allêi hêmerai, tôi allôi etei, next day, next year, X.HG1.1.13, 1.2.1;
hoite alloi kai . . all others and especially . . , gunaikas allas te
pollas kai dêkai basileos thugatera Hdt.1.1 , etc.; alla te dê eipe, kai .
. Pl.Tht.142c; (v. allôs 1 ):--to allo is much less freq. than ta alla.

LSJ s.v. ALLWS:

3. freq. in phrase allôs te kai . . both otherwise and . . , i.e.
especially, above all, A.Eu.473, Th.1.70, etc.; strengthd., a. te pantôs
kai . . A.Pr. 636, Eu.726; freq. followed by ên, ei, epeidê, especially if
. . , Hp.VC 21, Th.1.81, 2.3; by part., Id.4.104, 7.80:--without kai, a. te
ean X.Mem.1.2.59 ; allôs te epeidê Isoc.2.51 , Pl.Men.85e, etc.