[b-greek] RE: Jud 3:17 (LXX)

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 09:19:20 EDT

Hi,
Thanks for your interesting note on "fatness". I wonder if the notion of
"fat = beautiful" is found in other places in the LXX. I suppose a search
of the Hebrew term "bari" and how the LXX deals with it would be
informative and I will do just that when I can. Still, the picture of
Eglon (who's name means little cow) which the author offers is anything
but flattering at every other point. He is rather naive, dull witted, and
course. So why is he portrayed suddenly as "beautiful"?
thanks

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Biblical Studies
The Quartz Hill School of Theology and Roane State Community College

Biblical Studies Resources
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest