[b-greek] Re: Gal 4:18 EN KALWi

From: Steven Lo Vullo (themelios@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 18:49:19 EDT

on 10/11/01 4:01 AM, Harry W. Jones at hjbluebird@aol.com wrote:

> With all due respect to Carl, I feel like hO AGAQOS is being used
> attributively with respect to EIS in Mt. 19:17

On what basis? The structure here suggests a subject-predicate relationship
between hEIS and hO AGAQOS (Wallace lists hO AGAQOS in this verse under "The
Independent or Substantival Use of the Adjective"). Furthermore, third
position adjectives are exceedingly rare. And when they are found, they have
an appositional sense to them. This clearly doesn't fit here, since it would
yield "one, that is, the good one, is." Is what? We are left with no
predicate, which makes no sense in light of the question Jesus is asked and
the first part of his response to it. Is Jesus simply stating "the Good One
exists" or "there is One who is ultimate Good" with the implication that if
you want to know about good, he is the One to consult? If the former, he
hasn't really said anything that complements his rhetorical question.

> and upon closer examination I believe that TOIS AGAQOIS is being used
> attributively with respect to TOIS DESPOTAIS in 1 Pet. 2:18. And all the
> different translations that I have looked at, seem to bear this out.

I checked ten different translations and found not one that rendered TOIS
AGAQOIS as an attributive adjective. Rather, every one has a comma (or even
a semicolon or a period) somewhere between "masters" and the articular
adjectives in question. Though TOIS DESPOTAIS is *understood* with TOIS
AGAQOIS KAI EPIEIKESIN and TOIS SKOLIOIS, these adjectives are in no way in
an attributive relationship with TOIS DESPOTAIS. Rather, as indicated by the
presence and intervention of OU MONON, an *additional idea* is being
expressed, with OU MONON modifying hUPOTASSOMENOI and the dative articular
adjectives functioning as substantival direct objects of hUPOTASSOMENOI (see
Perschbacher, _Refresh Your Greek_, p. 933). Note that both UBSGNT 4 and
NA27 punctuate with a comma after DESPOTAIS.

> That would seem leave only two possible substantive uses of AGAQOS. One
> in Ro. 5:7 and the one you mentioned in Mt. 5:45.

As I said in my last post, these are not just possible, they are certain.
--

Steven Lo Vullo
Madison, WI