[b-greek] Re: A little advise, please!

From: Suedaleg@aol.com
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 01:52:54 EDT

Thanks for revisiting this thread(?)

Ted's examples actually clarified something in these two words which I fear
has been unseen in most discussions. I will need to do a little more
research to see if this view holds up. If anyone is willing to show where it
is contradicted I'd be very happy to look at their thoughts.

It appears to me, by Ted's examples (Luke 6:32; 11:43; John 5:20; and 20:2)
that FILEOis a feeling toward someone or something (The Father feals love
toward the Son; Jesus feels love toward John) while AGAPAW addresses the
action resulting from or demonstrating the reality of the feeling (Pharisees
not only enjoyed the best seets but actively sought them; sinners demonstrate
their apreciation (love) for those who do well for them.).

If this is so, it explains two things I have found difficult to explain in
the past.

Jesus wanted Peter to demonstrate his love (AGAPAW) but Peter, while truly
loving (FILEW) the Lord was not certain he could demonstrate it by continuing
to be an apostle, (John 21:15-17).

Husbands are instructed not only to love (FILEW) their wives, but to
consciously demonstrate it (AGAPAW) (Eph. 5:25), because after all SUNISTHSI
DE THN hEAUTOU AGAPHN EIS hHMAS hO QEOS, hOTI ETI hAMARWLWN ONTWN hHMWN,
XRISTOS hUPER hHMWN APEQANE. (Rom 8:5)

Thanks for the enlightenment.

Dale Greenlee