[b-greek] Re: unleavened bread

From: Ted Mann (theomann@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 13:16:33 EDT

I'm hardly a Greek scholar, but I'll venture an opinion and suggest that
AZUMOS is used in Mk.14:12 and Lk.22:1 because "unleavened" is part of the
name of the feast that is being identified; that is, the Feast of Unleavened
Bread. Since the reader has been informed as to what feast is being
celebrated, it isn't necessary to further specificy that the bread is
unleavened. After all, what other kind of bread would be consumed at the
Feast of Unleavened Bread? I think the term ARTOS is just a generic term
for bread, and implies nothing about the kind of bread it is. The context
dictates that this is unleavened bread.

Ted
Dr. Theodore H. Mann
theomann@earthlink.net