[b-greek] Re: hOTI in Rom 5.8

From: Steven Lo Vullo (doulos@merr.com)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 17:20:56 EDT

on 10/14/01 10:48 PM, Carl W. Conrad at cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu wrote:

> Text: SUNISTHSIN DE THN hEAUTOU AGAPHN EIS hHMAS hO QEOS, hOTI ETI
> hAMARTWLWN ONTWN hHMWN CRISTOS hUPER hHMWN APEQANEN.
>
> I've read Harold's response to this and I agree with his affirmation of the
> tagging of hOTI as causal; it seems to me very much like a Latin QUOD
> introducing an explanatory clause with the sense, "the fact being that ..."
> = "inasmuch as ...". If the clause introduced by hOTI were to be understood
> as appositional to AGAPHN as you suggest, Steven, I think it would be
> introduced by hHi, i.e. "love whereby/with which ... ." Otherwise, I think
> the hOTI clause, if nominal, might have to be linked to the preceding by
> something like a TOUTWi which the hOTI would refer back to. I just don't
> quite see how the hOTI clause can be appositional to an accusative noun, at
> least in this instance.

Thanks, Carl and Harold, for helping me out on this one. (And thanks to Iver
for his comments on GAR in Rom 5.7.) After reading your comments and
studying the text more carefully, I see that my thinking on this was way
off. If I had only substituted the hOTI clause for THN hEAUTOU AGAPHN, it
should have been apparent to me that apposition does not fit.
--

Steven Lo Vullo
Madison, WI