[b-greek] RE: What Do We Make of CWRIS and ANDRES?

From: Iver Larsen (iver_larsen@sil.org)
Date: Fri Oct 19 2001 - 03:03:37 EDT

> Would the women and children have been seated with the men? In the
> synagogues this was certainly not the case, nor was it in the early
> Christian church. I wonder if the groups of 50 were men, and the
> women and
> children were seated apart from (CWRIS) them in another section?

That is a possibility I hadn't thought about. But the people are not in a
synagogue. They are having an out door picnic. Did men and women not mix in
the market place? What if something spectacular happened and people gathered
to watch? Would the women keep separate from the men?

IF the huge group of people had been listening to Jesus in two separate
groups, and the men were told to sit in rows for food distribution, I would
expect wives and children to come to their husband as the provider of food.
But this is speculation. If the women and children had sat down in their own
rows of 50s, it should have possible to count them.

Iver Larsen