[b-greek] RE: Comparitive Degrees

From: Lloyd (bemaseat2001@yahoo.com.au)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 01:25:16 EDT

Dear Fellow Members,

My name is Lloyd Dawson. I am currently studying at Bible College,
Townsville; Australia. I am new to b_greek and the language itself, having
'lexical access' understanding more than 'unaided knowledge'. Consequently,
I seek to add depth via grammar and force of adjectives to nouns giving rise
to constructive phrases/sentences. Unfortunately, I do not have access to
formal education in koine Greek which I personally feel is disheartening
since out of it flows our Theology.

My question is one of general understanding for the purposes of recognising
the different levels of comparitive degrees (ie. positive, comparitive,
superlative & emphatic superlative). Can comparitive degrees apply to
anything outside adjectives? Furthermore on adjectives, is the degree
identifiable within the construction of the said adjective (eg. MEIZONA -
MEGISTA) as used by Paul in 1 Cor 12: 3 (comp. degree)1 and Peter in 2 Pet
1: 4 (supl. degree)? Is there a constant or rule of thumb to this
difference? Finally, can MEGAS be constant to the positive degree, and if
so, how do I recognise an emphatic superlative to MEGAS?

Many thanks

Lloyd Dawson