[b-greek] Re: What Do We Make of CWRIS and ANDRES?

From: D. Charles Pyle (dcpyle@linkline.com)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 02:30:05 EDT

Haven't posted in a long time due to lack of time but thought I would take a
stab at it.

ANQROPOS is generally a more generic term, while ANHR or ANDROS tends to be
more gender specific, usually giving the implication of women and/or
children present within the context. In the passages in question, the
sentence structure and usage seem to fit this as well. In that light, I
would see CWRIS as meaning "apart from" or meaning that there were so many
husbands there but that there were more people there who were not counted,
namely the women and children. There miht be other cultural issues there
which we have not considered. For instance, were women counted in
census-type arrangements? I do not think that such was often the case,
especially in Israel. In the OT, we tend to find that the men were counted
in census activities, especially the fighting men. This could have been
another example of such a count--a census of attending devotees counted by
the men rather than including women and children in such a count. I suppose,
though, that this might be taken as interpretation as well, and that my
comments might be less than helpful. :-)
D. Charles Pyle
GINWSKETE GAR THN CARIN TOU KURIOU hHMWN
IHSOU CRISTOU, hOTI DI' hUMAS EPTWCEUSEN,
PLOUSIOS WN, hINA hUMEIS TH(i) EKEINOU
PTWCEIA(i), PLOUTHSHTE. (PROS KORINQIOUS B 8.9)