[b-greek] ENDUW/ENDUOMAI (correction/clarification)

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 08:44:33 EST

At 11:42 PM +0100 10/28/01, Iver Larsen wrote:
>Let me comment on the new points raised by Carl:
>> ENDUW (19x aor. 'middle', 6x aor. 'passive'
>
>For ENDUW the A-form (A stands for the first letter of the alphabet and
>refers to the traditional active) has a special causative meaning "dress
>someone in something". The underlying semantic verb would be trivalent with
>the roles agent, experiencer and patient. The M-form is "to put on
>something" or "to dress oneself in something". So this would have an
>underlying semantic divalent verb with a combined agent-experiencer role
>expressed as subject and a patient as object.
>I could not find the passive forms with my search program. Could you give me
>the references?
>I cannot imagine a passive transformation from the M-form. A M-form like "I
>put the dress on" would theoretically become passive as *"The dress was put
>on (by me)".
>The A-form "I put the dress on him" would become passive as "The dress was
>put on him (by me)." I can imagine this, but it would be rare.

In my message of Mon, 29 Oct 2001 14:32:16 -0500 w/ subject header: "Re:
Towards a semantic definition of Greek Middle" I have already commented on
these verbs. What I want to do now is simply to respond to Iver's query
about the verb in relationship to my initial listing of it as having forms
in both the aorist 'middle' and the aorist 'passive.'

The fact is that there are NO aorist passive (-QH-) forms in the GNT for
this verb; I got my figures from Accordance but have found that all 6 of
the forms tagged as aorist passives are in fact aorist middles and not one
of them can be considered passive in form or meaning. Upon rechecking I
find the following forms given in these instances:

Lk 24:49 ENDUSHSQE; 1 Cor 15:53 ENDUSASQAI (2x), 1 Cor 15:54 ENDUSHTAI
(2x); Col 3:12 ENDUSASQE. Obviously all of these are middle and I think
there's no doubt that these are the right readings in each instance. What a
re-check of the Accordance data shows is that in each of these instances
there is a variant that is identified as passive; I can't imagine such
forms very well, but I guess they'd be something like ENDUQHTE (subj. 2
pl.), ENDUQHNAI (2x), ENDUQHi (2x), and ENDUQHTE (imptv 2nd pl.). That's
all that I can imagine is meant by the tagging, although I think it's
utterly conceivable that such forms as these were ever grammatically viable.

The upshot: ENDUOMAI is the standard form (27x in GNT) of this verb with
the sense "dress oneself," but the active also appears, 3x only (Mt 27:31
and Mk 15:20 ENEDUSAN AUTON TA hIMATIA; Lk 15:22 ENDUSATE AUTON) in the
sense "put clothes upon a person".