[b-greek] Re: New "Baby Greek" book by Bill Mounce

From: Roe (d.roe@t-online.de)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 18:34:41 EST

Jonathan Robie schrieb:

     [snip]

> Those who don't know aren't dangerous; those who insist they do know are
> very dangerous. This is just as true for Really Big Greeks as for Little
> Greeks. Each of us knows only in part; if we want to profit by studying
> Greek, we must have the humility and the patience to learn one step at a
> time, to be corrected by others, and be open to the Spirit who guides us in
> all truth.

Thanks, Jonathan. I was about to write, and you've expressed it so well!
Anyone who knows one word or one grammar "rule" could be dangerous. And
anyone knowing all but one word or one grammar "rule" could be dangerous.

Since no one likely knows all about Greek, we could assume, theoretically
anyway... that anyone who knows any Greek could be dangerous.

At the same time, I agree so much with Carl's comment, that "more and more
Greek, until it's no longer dangerous" is helpful, and that it is a matter
of "temperament." Being one of them (having dangerously abused the
trifling amount of Greek I'd known), I don't dispute what I assume would
hold true under statistical analysis: that those who know a little Greek
pose more danger than those who know more.

I think a key is to understand how much or little you know. The more Greek
I've learned, the more I realize how much I don't know. Primarily, I thank
B-Greek forum for this.

David

D.W. Roe
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany