[b-greek] Didache

From: Keith Thompson (KAT@kneptune.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 08:51:20 EST

<x-flowed>
Hi!
  I'm translating the Didache at the moment and I'm having a few
problems. This is partly because there are some errors in the text, is
there anywhere online that has a good copy? But mostly the problems I
have are with the grammar or the meanings of words. I've only translated
the 'hH hODOS THS ZWHS' part so far, and I've got quite a few questions,
but I won't ask them all at once.
  At the end of 1:4 it says EAN LABHi TIS APO SOU TO SOON, MH APAITEI,
OUDE GAR DUNASAI. (I assume SOON = SON) The problem I have is with OUDE
GAR DUNASAI. I'm not very experienced with MI conjugation verbs, would
the aorist middle imperative of DUNAMAI be DUNASAI? All I know is
sometimes MI conjugation verbs follow the W conjugation in the aorist
tense, meaning 'for neither be powerful/able'. But the GAR seems to
imply a statement is being made, 'for neither are you able', but neither
of these translations make much sense to me. What exactly does OUDE GAR
DUNASAI mean here?
  And in 2:2 it says OU FONEUSEIS TEKNON EN FQORAi OUDE GENNHQEN
APOKTENEIS. I'm not sure what EN FQORAi means, I would translate it
literally as 'You will not slay a child in corruption'. Whose is the
FQORA and what exactly does it mean? I would imagine it means 'do not
murder a child who was born deformed', is this the right idea?
  I've got a few other questions as well, I hope someone will kindly help
me out with them. I've found the people here to be very helpful, thanks
in advance for any help I receive.
EN CRISTWi,
Keith Thompson (Manchester, UK)
Email: keitht@kneptune.demon.co.uk