[b-greek] Re: Didache

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 07:27:24 EST

At 11:57 AM +0000 11/5/01, Maurice A. O'Sullivan wrote:
>At 16:39 04/11/01, Keith Thompson wrote:
>
>>So would the aorist middle imperative be DUNOU or something?
>
>Keith:
>The -OU ending is the _present_ active imperative, 2nd. sg. and the aorist
>imperative 2nd. sg. for 2nd. ( a.k.a strong ) aorists

Maurice, I think that you meant for middle-passive of thematic verbs in
present and aorist (i.e. second aorist), NOT active.

>-AI is the regular aorist middle imperative ending-- for 1st aorists ( here
>we are getting into tricky territory, so I'll leave you to explore the
>minefield that is 1st aorists and 2nd. aorists <g> ).
>Suffice to say that the 1st. aorist of DUNAMAI is EDUNHSAMHN, making the
>imperative DUNHSAI

(a) One might think that DUNAMAI should form an aorist EDUNHSAMHN, but it
doesn't. In the GNT it is regularly HDUNHQHN (which is to say: in
traditional misguided parlance, it's called a 'passive deponent'); the
earlier form of this in Attic (and frequently in the LXX) is EDUNASQHN or
more commonly HDUNASQHN.

(b) I for one cannot quite imagine what an imperative of DUNAMAI would
mean. I think of Kant's DU KANSST, DENN DU SOLLST ("you can because you
should") and I think of Vergil's POSSUNT QUIA POSSE VIDENTUR ("they can
because they think they can") and I think of the Little Engine that Could
which keeps saying to itself, "I think I can, I think I can"--but I can't
quite imagine a command or exhortation to a person to be able.