[b-greek] Re: Jerusalem location

From: RUSSELL RANKIN (rrankin@isd.net)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 01:44:26 EST

<x-flowed>
Julian,

Matthew 2:1 and 5 are appropriately translated as "Judea" because a
reference to the Roman province was intended. Matthew's quote of the
Hebrew Scriptures in v.6 is a different spelling, however, This is a
reference to one of the tribes of Israel and appropriately translated
"Juda" [or "Judah"]. Matthew used the same Greek word in v.6 as the LXX
(Septuagint) in Micah 5:2. In either case, Jerusalem was in Judea in Roman
times, Judah in pre-Roman history. Benjamin did not exist as a land
designation in Roman times.

Russell Rankin
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
rrankin@isd.net