[b-greek] Re: Acts 13:32-33 the Prophet

From: Iver Larsen (iver_larsen@sil.org)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 05:54:58 EST

Carl said:
> I have two comments here after doing a quick search on ANISTHMI/ANISTAMAI
> in the 3d sg. in GNT:
>
> (1) Although I was initially in doubt, I think now that Iver is
> quite right
> in understanding ANESTHSAS here of "raising up" in the sense of raising up
> a leader rather than of resurrection; I think that the two-fold direct
> citation of the passage from Deuteronomy strongly supports this.
>
> (2) Nevertheless, with regard to the diction, I think Iver has overstated
> the differentiation between ANISTHMI/ANISTAMAI and
> EGEIRW/EGEIROMAI (it was
> the realization that HGERQH is essentially equivalent to ANESTH as an
> intransitive 3d sg. aorist for resurrection that initiated my
> investigation
> of -QH- voice forms). Both verbs are used frequently for resurrection as
> well as for other kinds of "raising/risings up." For ANISTHMI/ANISTAMAI I
> get the following figures and texts in 3d sg. instances:
>
> ANISTHMI causative
> (a) of resurrection (4x: Acts 2:24, 32; 9:41; 13:34; in only two of these
> is there an explicit indication of "from death" but the sense in
> context is clear)
> (b) in other senses (3x: Mt 22:24, 3:22; Acts 7:37)
> ANISTAMAI intransitive
> (a) ANESTH with reference to resurrection (7x: Mk 5:42, 9:27; Lk
> 8:55, 9:8,
> 19; Acts 9:34; 1 Th 4:14; in only one of these is there an explicit
> indication of "from death" but the sense in context is clear)
> (b) ANESTH in other senses (8x: Mk 3:26, Lk 4:16, 10:25; Jn 11:31; Acts
> 5:36, 37, 7:18, 26:30)
> --
You are probably right that I overstated the case. I have in the meantime
looked more at the difference between EGEIRW and ANISTHMI.

In view of our earlier discussion of active, middle and passive, I find it
interesting that EGEIRW occurs in active in the transitive sense of "cause
to get up" whereas it occurs commonly in the middle/passive form in either
the middle sense of "get up" or the passive sense of "being raised up".

ANISTHMI is quite different. It never occurs in the morphological passive
paradigm and it is rare in the middle. The middle form may have either the
middle or passive meaning.

In the future tense the active forms of ANISTHMI are apparently transitive
in meaning "raise up" but the middle forms are intransitive "rising up".
Outside the future we have active forms in the vast majority of cases, but
the meaning of this active form is either semantically active "raise up" or
semantically middle "rise", depending on context.
Both Acts 3:22 and 7:37 use the future active tense as they are quotes from
Deut 18 about a future happening which has now become past.
In Acts 3:26 and 13:33 we find the active participle - hUMIN ANASTHSAS - as
Paul is referring to the promise as already having been fulfilled. In both
instances we have the dative pronoun as we also find it in 3:22 and 7:37.
It is really this dative pronoun that got my attention, and I find it
difficult to construe the constructions in 3:22,26 and 7:37 with the
resurrection. 13:33 is on the borderline, and it is the occurrence of the
dative pronoun plus the promise to the fathers that cause me to lean in the
direction of raising up Jesus as a fulfillment of the promise to the
"fathers" through Moses.

Iver Larsen