[b-greek] Re: Acts 13:32-33 the Prophet

From: Harry W. Jones (hjbluebird@aol.com)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 13:01:07 EST

Iver Larsen posted:

> From Iver Larsen to B-greek:
> It seems to me that most translations have misunderstood the Greek text of
> 13:32-33.
>
> KAI hUMEIS hUMAS EUAGGELIZOMEQA THN PROS TOUS PATERAS EPAGGELIAN GENOMENHN
> hOTI TAUTHN hO QEOS EKPEPLHRWKEN TOIS TEKNOIS AUTWN
> hHMIN ANASTHSAS IHSOUN
> and WE announce to YOU (concerning) the promise which came to the/our
> fathers
> that this (promise) God has (now) fulfilled for their children (you and me)
> (by)
> having raised up Jesus for us
>
> The difficult phrase is hHMIN ANASTHSAS, and which other words hHMIN
> connects with.
> First, does "raise up" refer to raising from the dead or raising up in the
> sense of sending forth?
> It is interesting that we find the same phrase in all three major speeches
> to a Jewish audience in Acts. First in Peter's speech on Pentecost:
>
> Acts 3:23: PROFHTHN hUMIN ANASTHSEI KURIOS "The Lord will raise up for you a
> prophet"
>
> Then in Stephen's speech to the Sanhedrin in Acts 7:37:
> PROFHTHN hUMIN ANASTHSEI hO QEOS "God will raise up for you a prophet"
>
> The promise from Deut 18,15-18 to Moses about God raising up another prophet
> like him some time in the future was apparently a very well known Messianic
> prophecy that a speaker would tag into when speaking to a Jewish audience.
> We can assume that the Jewish audience in Antioch that Paul was addressing
> were very familiar with this prophecy. As soon as he said "raise up for us"
> they would make the connection.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Iver Larsen

My thoughts are:

If ANASTHSAS doesn't mean raised from the dead then Ps. 2:7 is saying
that Jesus became the Son of God by being born in the flesh. And if
ANASTHSAS does mean raised from the dead then Jesus would have
been begotten from the dead. My cousin and many others
believe the first way. That is, that Christ became the Son of God by
being born in the flesh.

Just a few thoughts.

Harry Jones