[b-greek] Intervocalic Sigma in third declension nouns

From: Brent Hudson (brent@riveroflifembchurch.com)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 17:52:46 EST

With respect to third declension nouns whose stems end in a dental; is there
an established rule/reason why the intervocalic sigma does not drop out in
the dative plural (e.g., ELPISI ). This is not mentioned specifically in
Mounce's Morphology of Biblical Greek (n-3c(1-3)) or in Smyth (120). Smyth
says that S will remain because of phonetic change or analogy but I'm not
sure if this applies here. I was wondering if it is related to the loss of
the D or if the I in the ending is consonantal. Obviously this is not a big
deal, I'm just curious. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Brent Hudson

Moncton, NB
Canada