[b-greek] Re: Wenham Exercise 33A-1

From: Hirokatsu Yoshihara (hiro-likeluke@mbd.nifty.com)
Date: Sun Nov 18 2001 - 12:42:56 EST

Carl,

| I think that in this instance the neuter (comparative) adjective is being
| used because YUCH is here thought of a "a thing"--as "something of value";
| your workbook sentence is derived from Mt 6:25, the Sermon on the Mount:
| DIA TOUTO LEGW hUMIN: MH MERMIMNATE THi YUCHi hUMWN TI FAGHTE MHDE TWi
| SWMATI hUMWN TI ENDUSHSQE. OUCI hH YUCH PLEION ESTIN THS TROFHS KAI TO SWMA
| TOU ENDUMATOS?
|
| "Isn't the soul/inner self a broader/bigger thing than nourishment and the
| body a broader/bigger thing than clothing?"

Thank you for your response. Although I applied the same principle for
#6 of the same exercise, I did not notice it. The exercise problem for
#6 is 1 Cor. 13:13.

        NUNI DE MENEI PISTIS, ELPIS, AGAPH, TA TRIA TAUTA; . . .

Though the nouns listed here are all feminine, they are referred by
"TAUTA," the nominative neuter plural.

I learned that the Holy Spirit is often treated as the masculine, not
neuter, especially in John. This kind of descrepancy (or conflict)
between the morpho-syntactic behavior and human recognition is
interesting, isn't it?

Yours,

-----
Hirokatsu Yoshihara <hiro-likeluke@mbd.nifty.com>
Asia Pacific Theological Seminary, Baguio City, Philippines
November 19, 2001 (Mon.) 00:38 +08:00